Story Time: Another Glorious Day

You may remember, exactly three weeks ago today, I posted a short story marking my one year anniversary of getting canned from my (lame) job at BCC.Well my friends, the story continues:

You may remember, at the end of my last story, I was packing up my old office with a better job in one pocket and an $2,500 check in the other. I would be starting my new job at RAW the next day.

Well, the next day, I did start that job at RAW. I showed up to the office early, got a cup of coffee, and walked into my new office, which I would be sharing with a great friend until they could finish building what would become my private office across the hall.

I already knew everyone that worked there, so I immediately felt like I fit in, like I had been there for several months, and coming from a place where I never really felt comfortable, it was a nice feeling. I had the feeling that I could actually exhale at work with out looking over my shoulder to see if my boss was coming. Robert, my new boss, was a good guy; and he didn't care about much of anything. If you got your work done, you could show up in cutoff jean shorts and a tank top and leave at noon to go hunting. Seriously. I was really looking forward to it.

Also, I had stolen a potential construction project (fair game) from my former comrades at BCC and had brought it over to RAW. An owner I had worked with in the past said he would follow me wherever I went, which may have been the very thing that got me in the door at RAW in the first place, and made me feel great. Like those assholes at BCC didn't know what they were losing in me.

Anyway, I was working with an awesome friend and I was finally looking forward to going to work again. Like I had said before, life was tough, but life was good. I was planning on being there for a good long while.

Three weeks after my first day there, Robert called everyone into our office and said he was shutting the doors.

That's how fast it happened.

Three weeks in and the whole place dies. Everyone lost their jobs.

Twice in a month.

November 3rd, 2008: Got fired.

November 24th, 2008: Company goes under.

Later that night Chris, my good friend at RAW, dropped my last check off at my house. It was for just over $1,000. He said he was cashing his first thing the next morning and he recommended I do the same.

The next day I got up and drove my ass straight to the unemployment office, which is something everyone should do at least once in their life. You need to remember that you aren't special. You could end up canned just like everyone else.

After that I drove straight to the bank, signed the back of the check, and handed it over to the teller for straight cash.

She looked at it, typed something into her keyboard, stared at her computer screen for a moment, and then said she would be right back.

The manager came out after a few minutes, handed me the check, and said.

I'm sorry sir, we can't cash this. If you hear from these people, tell them they need to contact us immediately.

And with that, my once fruitful career in construction had come to a screeching halt.

Robert still owes me that thousand bucks.

I haven't had a real job in exactly one year.

And I've never been happier.