A friend of mine borrowed it from another friend, and they were both coming over to my house, so one friend brought the book to give back to the other friend, but I intercepted it.Bringing Down The House - by Ben Mezrich.
It was fantastic, and an easy read. In fact, I read this book faster than any other book I've read before, finishing it in just over 24 hours. The subtitle is: The Inside Story of Six M.I.T. Students Who Took Vegas For Millions. You might have heard of it, and you more likely have seen the movie based on it: 21, starring Kevin Spacey and a bunch of Hollywood babyfaces, plus Lawrence Fishburne's not-so-baby face.
Anyway it was a great and entertaining book and I am looking forward to reading more by Mezrich. However, I must point out that I was utterly disappointed to find out, after reading the Wikipedia article about the book, that many of the pivotal scenes in the book were largely exaggerated, if not entirely fabricated by the author. If you are going to read it though, I would suggest reading the Wiki article afterwards, its a spoiler.
I am a bit of a non-fiction purist, and it bothers me that someone snuck a load of crap into a book that I was convinced was completely true. Either way, I think Mezrich learned his lesson about passing off fiction as truth, due to the huge amount of criticism he got after the truth actually came out, so I expect his next non-fictions to be just that.
All-in-all, I definitely recommend this read. Good stuff.
So with book #27 down, I give you my updated chronological lifetime list, which seems to grow more like an oak tree than a weed, slow and steady, sure of itself.
- Superman: Doomsday & Beyond – Louise Simonson
- The Illustrated Man – Ray Bradbury
- The Catcher in the Rye – J.D. Salinger
- Wild at Heart – John Eldredge
- Waking the Dead – John Eldredge
- Dangerous Wonder – Michael Yacconelli
- Messy Spirituality – Michael Yacconelli
- Run Like an Antelope: On The Road With Phish – Sean Gibbon
- The Sun Also Rises – Ernest Hemingway
- Into Thin Air – Jon Krakauer
- Blue Like Jazz – Donald Miller
- Through Painted Deserts – Donald Miller
- Searching For God Knows What – Donald Miller
- Velvet Elvis – Rob Bell
- Rich Dad Poor Dad – Robert Kyosaki
- What Jesus Meant – Gary Wills
- No Shortcuts to the Top – Ed Viesturs
- Into The Wild – Jon Krakauer
- To Own a Dragon – Donald Miller
- No Compromise: The Life Story of Keith Green – Melody Green
- Eiger Dreams: Ventures Among Men & Mountains – Jon Krakauer
- Under The Banner of Heaver – Jon Krakauer
- Three Men in a Boat – Jerome K. Jerome
- Born on a Blue Day – Daniel Tammet
- The Survivors Club – Ben Sherwood
- The Road – Cormac McCarthy
- Bringing Down The House - Ben Mezrich