Well dudes, I have made it to 30.Thirty books. I have read a total of thirty books in my lifetime.
I am proud to say it, although a little shamed that Ben Mezrich is the one who helped me cross the finish line. As I said in my last review of his book Bringing Down the House, he has become known as a bullshit artist. Passing off complete fabrications as non-fiction, thus whoring the entire genre. I feel like I've been cheated on.
Nevertheless, the books are good. They keep you reading. Actually, The Accidental Billionaires was really just okay. Long story short: An awkward Harvard drop-out started Facebook and made billions. Who cares. Everybody already knows that. The tagline reads "A tale of sex, money, genius, and betrayal." There is no sex in the book (not that I was really hoping for it), no incredible genius, and no real betrayal. Sure, there is money, but that is to be expected, and it comes rather anti-climactically. It is really just a dumb story about an odd kid. Not that great.
Busting Vegas was a great read, and definitely interesting, but Mezrich really overhypes the teams "genius" plan. They basically just do everything they can to try to see a card in the deck and wait for it to come out. Lame. Every moron in the world thinks of that the second they walk into a casino. To their credit, though, they did it pretty well - but anything can be perfected with hours and hours of practice. Plus - who really knows? Mezrich has lost all credibility with me.
Am I lowering my standards here? I feel dirty.
here is my newly updated list. All 30 books, in order.
- Superman: Doomsday & Beyond – Louise Simonson
- The Illustrated Man – Ray Bradbury
- The Catcher in the Rye – J.D. Salinger
- Wild at Heart – John Eldredge
- Waking the Dead – John Eldredge
- Dangerous Wonder – Michael Yacconelli
- Messy Spirituality – Michael Yacconelli
- Run Like an Antelope: On The Road With Phish – Sean Gibbon
- The Sun Also Rises – Ernest Hemingway
- Into Thin Air – Jon Krakauer
- Blue Like Jazz – Donald Miller
- Through Painted Deserts – Donald Miller
- Searching For God Knows What – Donald Miller
- Velvet Elvis – Rob Bell
- Rich Dad Poor Dad – Robert Kyosaki
- What Jesus Meant – Gary Wills
- No Shortcuts to the Top – Ed Viesturs
- Into The Wild – Jon Krakauer
- To Own a Dragon – Donald Miller
- No Compromise: The Life Story of Keith Green – Melody Green
- Eiger Dreams: Ventures Among Men & Mountains – Jon Krakauer
- Under The Banner of Heaven – Jon Krakauer
- Three Men in a Boat – Jerome K. Jerome
- Born on a Blue Day – Daniel Tammet
- The Survivors Club – Ben Sherwood
- The Road – Cormac McCarthy
- Bringing Down The House - Ben Mezrich
- Rigged - Ben Mezrich
- Busting Vegas - Ben Mezrich
- The Accidental Billionaires - Ben Mezrich